Skip to Content


Attending quality early learning programs for children ages birth to five creates positive short and long- term impacts for success in school and life. Santa Clara County’s schools are committed to providing high-quality preschool, transitional kindergarten (TK), and kindergarten programs.

What is the difference between preschool, TK and K?

  • TK-12 public education programs are open to all regardless of immigration status. ETK (Early TK), TK and kindergarten are only operated through schools and are free.
  • Preschool programs that are operated through schools may range from private pay to no-cost options. Contact your local school district to learn if they have preschool programs. You can also contact Santa Clara County's Childcare Resource and Referral program at 669-212-5437 to learn about your options. Families may qualify for low-cost preschool if they meet certain eligibility. Eligibility may vary depending on the program you select. The R&R team can provide you with information to make the best decision for you and your child.

Enroll in Preschool, TK and K through schools

  • Use the property record search to find your school district
  • Visit your school or school district's enrollment page to begin the enrollment process
Alum Rock Union School District Gilroy Unified School District Moreland School District San Jose Unified School District
Berryessa Union School District Lakeside Joint School District Morgan Hill Unified School District Santa Clara Unified School District
Cambrian School District
Loma Prieta Joint Union School District
Mt. Pleasant Elementary School District Saratoga Union School District
Campbell Union School District Los Altos School District Mountain View Whisman School District Sunnyvale School District
Cupertino Union School District Los Gatos Union School District Oakgrove School District Union School District
Evergreen School District
Luther Burbank School District
Orchard School District  
Franklin-McKinley School District Milpitas Unified School District Palo Alto Unified School District  


  • Gather the general documents needed for enrollment (check with your school district)
    • A copy of each parent or legal guardian’s photo ID
    • Verification of address documents
    • Verification of age document
    • Immunization record
    • TB screening
    • Oral health assessment
    • Report of health examination for school entry
  • Open enrollment varies by district and can begin December, January, or February every year.

TK Expansion in California

Most 4 year olds are eligible for free TK through schools. The image below shows the birthdays that will be eligible to enroll in TK by academic year. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 12.16.26 PM.png

Immunizations for TK and K

Visit Shots for School to learn more about the immunization requirements for TK and Kindergarten students. For FAQs about TK immunizations, click here


More Resources