The R&R Program understands that choosing who cares for your child is one of the most important decisions that you will make and we want to help you find the best fit for you and your child. We are here to support you and to answer any questions that may come up before, during, and after your childcare search.
It is important that you visit the provider, observe the environment, and ask questions. Remember, the most important part is finding the right environment for you and your child.
Finding quality childcare matters because children who attend high quality early learning programs:
- Are better prepared for kindergarten
- Get better grades in reading and in math
- Are more likely to graduate from high school
- Get higher-paying jobs
Tips for Choosing Childcare
We understand that as a parent or caregiver, you want to give your child a quality start by seeking out childcare programs that offer high-quality early learning. Below is some important information to consider and questions to ask when searching for a childcare provider.
- Does the home or center feel warm and welcoming?
- Are the children happily engaged in activities?
- Do the adults seem to enjoy working with and caring for the children? Do they pay attention to the needs of each child?
- Are the children playing with each other?
- Is the home or center clean and organized?
- If you were a child, would you want to spend your day at this home or center?
Questions to ask:
- Is the program licensed by the state? How was their last licensing visit?
- Does the program participate in QUALITY MATTERS…a Strong Start for kids?
- What do the interactions between the providers/staff and children look like?
- What types of activities or lessons are planned during the day?
- What does the program do to ensure the health and safety of the children?
- What type of training or qualifications does the provider/staff have?
- What is the size of their group and the number of children per teacher?
- Choosing Quality Care Checklist
- QUALITY MATTERS...a STRONG START for kids
- QUALITY MATTERS – Signs of Quality
- Parent Guide to Choosing Quality Child Care – CDSS Community Care Licensing
- What to Look for When Choosing Child Care– CDSS Community Care Licensing
- Choosing Quality Care – Child Care Aware America